Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Tendli with Coconut Masala by Lonet Vaz Pereira
3 cups of chopped Tindora/Ivy gourd
4-5 Curry leaves
Jaggery for taste
To make the coconut masala
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut (fresh/frozen)
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp urad daal
1 Tbsp tamarind paste
3-4 red chillies
· Wash the Tindora thoroughly and cut into long strips. Keep aside.
· Roast the coriander seeds, urad daal and red chillies in little bit oil and roast until it turns brown.
· Next make the coconut masala, by grinding the coconut along with red chillies, salt, tamarind, water, urad daal and coriander seeds. The masala should be slightly coarse, thick so do not add too much water.
· In the meanwhile heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds, allow to splutter and then add the curry leaves.
· Add the chopped tindora, salt and fry until it turns light brown and is cooked.
· Add the coconut paste and cook until the raw smell of coconut is gone. Check for taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
· Serve hot with rice or rotis.