Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Chickpeas with Spinach by Lonet Vaz Pereira
Spinach - 250 grams or a bunch
Chickpeas - 1 cup
Green Chili - 2 (finely chopped)
Garlic - 1 clove
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Brinji leaf - a small leaf
Onion - 1
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp
Tomato - 3
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
Chili Powder or Masala Powder - 1/2 to 1 tsp (Depends on your spice level)
Cumin powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 ½ tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 or 2 tspn
1. Soak Chickpeas in water for 6 to 8 hours. Cook Chickpeas till they are tender. If you are using pressure cooker, cook till 3 to 4 whistles.
2. Finely Chop Green chilies, Onion and Tomatoes. Keep all this aside.
3. Heat a tspn of Oil in a pan. Add Green Chilies and Garlic; fry till garlic turns into golden brown. Add Spinach and sauté till all the leaves are wilted.
4. Remove from heat and let this mix cool for at least 10 minutes. Then grind this mix in a blender. Now the spinach puree in ready.
5. Heat 1 or 2 tspns of Oil in a pan. Add Fennel seeds, Cumin seeds and Brinji leaf. Once it starts spluttering add Onion and fry till it turns into golden brown.
6. Add Ginger Garlic Paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
7. Add Tomatoes and fry till they are soft. Then Add Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder and fry till the smell of masala goes.
8. Add Spinach puree, Salt, Lemon juice and very little Water(water used to cook chickpeas) to it. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir this once in a while to avoid burning the bottom.
9. Finally add Chickpeas. Again, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.